The Barbeque (and a little bit of work on the Game Jam too)

Another day of the game jam, another round of stubbing out code and making small changes. This time, I made the fireball and crossbow essentially work as intended, and left the grappling hook ability to another coder.

The crossbow fires a single bolt normally, three bolts when charged once, and five bolts when charged twice. The fireball is very similar, but it fires a pathetically small fireball with no charge, a bigger one with one charge, and a very large one with two charges. The cooldowns, speeds, and a bunch of other things were yet to be implemented / balanced. That was the game design team’s job, or at least, that was my impression. Referring to myself as an “Intern” in the first game jam blog post really couldn’t describe my situation better. I do things, but do those things get implemented / matter? Maybe.

Today, however, there was an event, so I actually have more things to talk about! We held a barbecue out in a glade somewhere I can’t exactly name, since I was graciously driven there and back by my German peers.

I had a hamburger of sorts, with a steak (I think?) as the “burger,” a piece of bread I had to cut myself, and some special burger sauce. It was surprisingly good. Steak being my favorite food probably helped. I didn’t take a picture of it, because I didn’t think to, but I did take a picture of the strawberries.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen strawberries this red and healthy looking. They tasted good, too. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen / eaten strawberries in general, actually…

Besides eating, all I really did was wander around aimlessly and talk to some people. Alex went full Minecraft, made himself a small stone axe and defiled mother nature with his creation, so there’s that.

Though I intended to work some more upon getting back, it being 8:30PM already—compounded the thoroughly uncomfortable heat of the game lab—convinced me to head back “early.”

It’s so bright out, even though this picture was taken at 9:00PM.