Day 6: Birb

So there I am, stomach full of pastry and holding a bag of fresh strawberries I had just bought at the bakery, waiting for the bus. Alex and I had a late start this morning and finally found the right bus route to take, hoping that it wouldn’t randomly drop us off across town again. A very loud thud shakes the bus shelter and a woman next to us screams as a bird flaps to the ground. I’m not going to go into detail, mostly because I am still SHOOK, but we had to catch the bus without knowing its fate. I cried the entire bus ride . . . and while walking across campus . . . and again when I had to explain why I looked like I had been crying. I’m reeling. Bird, if you’re out there, I hope you’re okay. And if you’re dead, I hope a friendly neighborhood cat ensures that your death wasn’t a waste.

Anyway . . .

Today was the second day of our game jam and the first full workday. We immediately started working when we arrived, only stopping occasionally to drink soda and chose another YouTube video to watch. I managed to get several models done, including a pile of rocks that will serve as our first otter puzzle. I’m annoyed that it took so long and I had to start over a few times because I didn’t like the look of it, and I’m still nervous that it might not be clear enough and the puzzle will not work. I also finished the grappling hook, force field generator, and various ship parts to scatter around as other wrecked ship. I’m really worried about all the work that is ahead of me and although my passion and motivation is there, I am getting very tired and working slower than I want. I still have models to complete, as well as all the texturing and creating animation cycles for our main character.

However, I am still having a great time and my models are turning out surprisingly well. Because of school and work, I haven’t been able to just sit down and make cool models in a long time. I’ve been watching Game Grumps play Undertale and the time is passing without really making me tired. My team is also still doing fantastic; from talking to my other American friends, apparently, we’re one of the only teams that isn’t constantly fighting and running into language barriers. I’m so excited that I get to work on this game that I’ve been thinking about for nearly a year. My love of maya is reinvigorated after a hard semester making a film and not being able to focus on video games.